PPPoE/IPoE, any recommendations for upgrade?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jun 7 09:33:25 UTC 2015

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015, Nasser Heidari wrote:

> - If you are already using IPoE, tell more why should I upgrade?

The IPoE and IPoEoADSL I have done didn't need radius, didn't need BNG,
didn't need a lot of the complications you're talking about. It could
basically be realised in any decent L3 switch as default gateway for the
customers instead of needing BNG.

So I'd say if you want to get full potential of IPoE you need to do
simplification as well, otherwise there is little use in doing the work if
he only thing you want to change is from IPoPPPoE to IPoE encapsulation
and keep all the other stuff you're doing.

IPoPPPoE requires special CPE and router at your end to achieve high
speeds, because they need to support encapsulation/decapsulation of
packets at whatever speed you provide. The number of devices that do this
is a lot smaller than the ones that do decent speeds with just IPoE.

So some people will say migrating to IPoE from IPoPPPoE buys them nothing,
because they feel they need all the mechanisms they currently use.
Greenfield deployments might say "hey, we can do this without a lot of the
needed mechanisms for IPoPPPoE" and save a lot of money and complication.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se