Tunable SFP

Thomas Weible - FLEXOPTIX Thomas.Weible at flexoptix.net
Sun Jun 7 09:20:35 UTC 2015

Hi Frank,

> Frank wrote:
> Upon second look, these are "reconfigurable".  Doesn't appear to be the
>same
> as tunable. =(

These tuneables have three features:

1. Tune 80-DWDM-channels in the 50 / 100 GHz grid -> You can change the
wavelength of the SFP+
2. Reconfigurable -> configure these SFP+ to operate in your used host
system today. Reconfigure these SFP+ to operate in a different host
tomorrow.
3. Combining 1. + 2. -> You can use these tunable SFP+ also in hosts which
do not support wavelength tuning - in this scenario wavelength tuning is
done externally via flexbox. The tunable SFP+ acts like a fixed DWDM SFP+
in your host (or even regular SFP+ ZR if there is no support for fixed
DWDM SFP+) but the physics is still a full tunable DWDM SFP+

> Jared wrote:
> They do exist. They tend to have tighter link budgets as compared to XFP
> tunable optics. Don't expect to go as far due to the receiver
>sensitivity.

One comment regarding the receiver sensitivity. For both (XFP and SFP+
tunable) it is -24dBm because for both formfactors the same APD receiver
is used.

Thanks
    Thomas