eBay is looking for network heavies...

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Sat Jun 6 08:50:41 UTC 2015

--- joe at nethead.com wrote:
From: Joe Hamelin <joe at nethead.com>

Back in 2000 at Amazon, HR somehow decided to have me do the phone
interviews for neteng.  I'd go through questions on routing and what not,
then at the end I would ask questions like, "Who was Jon Postel?  Who is
Larry Wall?  Who is Paul Vixie? What are layers 8 & 9? Explain the RTFM
protocol.  What is NANOG?"  Those answers (or long silences) told me more
about the candidate than most of the technical questions.

Now that's a good interview question series.  It shows that
the person cares, rather than just doing a job.

scott

ps.  I never thought of RTFM as a protocol, but I like it.
It's a protocol between engineers.  The conservative in
what you send part... :-)