AWS Elastic IP architecture

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 5 11:11:28 UTC 2015

> On Jun 4, 2015, at 6:16 PM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> I’d argue that SSH is several thousand, not a few hundred. In any case, I suppose you can make the argument that only a few people are trying to access their home network resources remotely other than via some sort of proxy/rendezvous service. However, I would argue that such services exist solely to provide a workaround for the deficiencies in the network introduced by NAT. Get rid of the stupid NAT and you no longer need such services.
>
> This is an interesting argument/point, but if you remove the rendevous
> service then how do you find the thing in your house? now the user has
> to manage DNS, or the service in question has to manage a dns entry
> for the customer, right?

DNS is pretty easy. There are dozen’s of free web-UI based DNS services out there. Some of them even run by registrars.

> you'll be moving the (some of the) pain from 'nat' to 'dns' (or more
> generally naming and identification). I think though that in a better
> world, a service related to the thing you want to prod from outside
> would manage this stuff for you.

I’m unconvinced. Perhaps I prefer to create an entry once vs. pay for some other service to do this and charge me on a monthly basis for a one-time action.

> It's important (I think) to not simplify the discussion as: "Oh, with
> ipv6 magic happens!" because there are still problems and design
> things to overcome even with unhindered end-to-end connectivity.

I made no attempt to declare that there was any magic with IPv6. Indeed, my claim is that less magic is required.

Owen