AWS Elastic IP architecture

Philip Dorr tagno25 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 18:28:39 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> I’d argue that SSH is several thousand, not a few hundred. In any case, I suppose you can make the argument that only a few people are trying to access their home network resources remotely other than via some sort of proxy/rendezvous service. However, I would argue that such services exist solely to provide a workaround for the deficiencies in the network introduced by NAT. Get rid of the stupid NAT and you no longer need such services.
>
> This is an interesting argument/point, but if you remove the rendevous
> service then how do you find the thing in your house? now the user has
> to manage DNS, or the service in question has to manage a dns entry
> for the customer, right?

You do not remove the locating service, what you remove is the remote
proxy service.

For example with a webcam on IPv4, you would connect to website to
download the video.  The camera would also connect to the website to
upload the video.

On IPv6 the webcam would connect to the website to say that it is
alive and what its IP is.  You would connect to the website and your
computer would get the IP and directly connect to the webcam.  If
there were multiple people connecting, you may even be able to use
multicast.