AWS Elastic IP architecture

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Jun 2 16:35:11 UTC 2015

Ah, the "IPv6 subnets are so big you can't find the hosts" myth.

Let's see... to find which hosts are active in IPv6 I can:
- run a popular web service that people connect to, revealing their addresses
- run a DNS server that lots of folks directly use (see Google)
- use the back door login your router vendor provided and ask
- query your unsecured public SNMP and ask
- get you to install software that sends back a list of what's on your subnet
- make educated guesses about your non-privacy IP addresses based on the MAC address ranges of popular hardware that is available in stores this year to reduce the search space to a manageable size
- hack the site where you get automatic updates from and use its logs

That's just off the top of my head

Matthew Kaufman

(Sent from my iPhone)