AWS Elastic IP architecture

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jun 2 01:32:47 UTC 2015

In message <CAL9jLaaQUP1UzoKag3Kuq8a5bMcB2q6Yg=B_=1fFWxRN6K-bNA at mail.gmail.com
>, Christopher Morrow writes:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Ca By <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Monday, June 1, 2015, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> >>

> >> In message
> >> <CAL9jLaYXCdfViHbUPx-=rs4vSx5mFECpfuE8b7VQ+Au2hCXpMQ at mail.gmail.com>
> >>
> >> Everyone has effectively IPv6-only customers today.  IPv6 native +
> >> CGN only works for services.  Similarly DS-Lite and 464XLAT.
>
> ok, and for the example of 'put my service in the cloud' ... the
> service is still accessible over ipv4 right?

It depends on what you are trying to do.  Having something in the
cloud manage something at home.  You can't reach the home over IPv4
more and more these days as.  IPv6 is the escape path for that but
you need both ends to be able to speak IPv6.  This will happen to
business as well.  The ability to be able to be able to call out
to everyone is lost if the cloud provider doesn't fully support
IPv6.

There are a whole segment of applications that don't work, or don't
work well, or don't work without a whole lot of additional investment
when one end is behind a CGN (covers all the above as IPv4 is
supplied over a CGN).

This attitude of we don't have to invest in IPv6 yet because we
have lots of public IPv4 addresses stinks to high heaven these day,
whether you are a ISP, cloud provider or someone else.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org