AWS Elastic IP architecture

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Mon Jun 1 22:25:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 10:49:09AM -0700, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 6/1/2015 12:06 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> >... Here’s the thing… In order to land IPv6 services without IPv6 support
> >on the VM, you’re creating an environment where...
>
> Let's hypothetically say that it is much easier for the cloud provider if
> they provide just a single choice within their network, but allow both v4
> and v6 access from the outside via a translator (to whichever one isn't
> native internally).
>
> Would you rather have:
> 1) An all-IPv6 network inside, so the hosts can all talk to each other over
> IPv6 without using (potentially overlapping copies of) RFC1918 space... but
> where very little of the open-source software you build your services on
> works at all, because it either doesn't support IPv6 or they put some IPv6
> support in but it is always lagging behind and the bugs don't get fixed in a
> timely manner. Or,

I'd much rather have this.  In fact, I'm building this at the moment.  It
simplifies so many things, like not having to worry about address
assignment, choosing appropriately-sized subnets, address re-use, etc.
Having direct access to everything from the outside world without having to
deal with NAT/VPN/a jump box makes so many things smoother, too.  Everything
I've deployed (and yes, all the components are OSS) has dealt with IPv6 just
fine, and everything I've considered deploying claims IPv6 support.  I've
had to submit one patch for fixing an IPv6 bug, and because it's OSS, I can
do that!

- Matt