BGP in the Washngton Post

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:08:20 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 6:24 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> Interesting story about BGP and security in the Washington Post today:
>

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/business/2015/05/31/net-of-insecurity-part-2/
>
> -Bill

The article left me with the feeling that there was a secure version of BGP
that is available but network operators are too short-term-focused and
foolish to deploy it.

I believe the situation is more complicated than that, no?  There is no
"secure version of BGP".  There are a handful of things that help, like
RPKI ... but they are far off from hitting the mark of "securing the
internet"... not too mention the ARIN RPKI SNAFU with various lawyers that
make RPKI impossible for a large part of the internet.

CB

PS.  All my ipv4 and ipv6 routes are RPKI signed, but I can't validate
because Cisco does not think validation within a VRF is an IOS-XR worthy
features

PPS. It does blow my mind that the internet works so well given that its
security relies on the good faith and reputation of a few network janitors
and plumbers