AWS Elastic IP architecture

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 02:46:02 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> As I said before:
>
> Host Virtual (vr.org <http://vr.org/>)
> Softlayer (softlayer.com <http://softlayer.com/>)
> Linode (Linode.com <http://linode.com/>)
>
> All have full dual-stack support.

<snip>

>> At the risk of feeding the troll...
>>
>> This isn't just an AWS problem.

So... ok. What does it mean, for a customer of a cloud service, to be
ipv6 enabled?
What really matters for a cloud service user? What information could
be surfaced to the cloud providers in order to get the most important
ipv6 'stuff' done 'now'?

o Is it most important to be able to address ever VM you create with
an ipv6 address?

o Is it most important to be able to talk to backend services (perhaps
at your prem) over ipv6?

o Is it most important that administrative interfaces to the VM
systems (either REST/etc interfaces for managing vms or 'ssh'/etc) be
ipv6 reachable?

o Is it most important to be able to terminate ipv6 connections (or
datagrams) on a VM service for the public to use?

I don't see, especially if the vm networking is unique to each
customer, that 'ipv6 address on vm' is hugely important as a
first/important goal. I DO see that landing publicly available
services on an ipv6 endpoint is super helpful.

Would AWS (or any other cloud provider that's not currently up on the
v6 bandwagon) enabling a loadbalanced ipv6 vip for your public service
(perhaps not just http/s services even?) be enough to relieve some of
the pressure on other parties and move the ball forward meaningfully
enough for the cloud providers and their customers?

-chris