[BULK] Verizon exiting California

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Jul 31 14:32:49 UTC 2015

On 07/31/2015 06:27 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Can anyone else back that up (or refute it)?

I am a CLEC operating in California west, and I collocate with verizon.
Yes, Verizon is proposing to sell it's wireline assets to Frontier and
become effectively an all-wireless carrier.

Frontier is going to get a patchwork of ancient switches and poorly
maintained outside plant, in rural areas that would require tens of
millions of dollars in upgrades for sparely populaed areas it could
never turn a profit on. I seriously wonder about the viability of taking
on the debt to get those areas and even just maintain them, vz itself
has done a very poor job and it presently operates a network where E911
routinely fails along with pots for many, for weeks at a time. And
somehow, Verizon has been allowed to skate along without being held to
the fire for it's mandated utility / carrier of last resort obligations.

I worry that Frontier, with all the new added debt obligations, will not
able to swallow this pill.

Mike-