Working with Spamhaus

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at mykolab.com
Wed Jul 29 17:23:39 UTC 2015

<m3aawg technical committee co-chair hat>

I agree with Suresh here -- NANOG used to almost be somewhat hostile
to anyone who started discussions regarding anti-abuse and/or security
issues which didn't involve routing backbone engineers.

A lot of us old-timers took the hint and basically started lurking,
not participating in meetings, or simply checked out of NANOG altogether
.

A lot of time has passed since those days, so perhaps attitudes have
changed a bit with regards to operational anti-abuse issues?

- - ferg

On 7/29/2015 10:14 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> <delurk>
>
> They come to M3AAWG on a regular basis and there’s the M3AAWG
> hosting SIG that you might want to participate in.
>
> NANOG doesn’t always have a mail abuse (and not very many network
> abuse) session on the agenda, plus just how many people doing
> routing or DNS seem to even care what their colleagues down the
> hall in the abuse team are doing or which conferences they attend?
>
> I remember a time (under the previous list management) when
> discussing spam here was deemed OT and non operational - off list
> warnings, suspensions and such.  Ancient history I guess, but
> still ..
>
> </delurk>
>
> —srs
>
>> On 29-Jul-2015, at 10:06 AM, Bob Evans
>> <bob at FiberInternetCenter.com> wrote:
>>
>> Would be nice to have an RBL service that attended NANOG
>> meetings. Would make for a more trusted RBL we can tell
>> customers to make use. Spamhaus ever attend a NANOG meetings ?
>> Thank You Bob Evans CTO

- --
Paul Ferguson
PGP Public Key ID: 0x54DC85B2
Key fingerprint: 19EC 2945 FEE8 D6C8 58A1 CE53 2896 AC75 54DC 85B2