DOCSIS CMTS Systems

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:27:16 UTC 2015

We are servicing more MDU customers that have older buildings. There is no
CAT5E installed, so extremely old phone cable or coaxial TV cable seems to
be our only inside wire options. There is no easy and inexpensive way to
run new cable, so we must deal with what is available.

We are very familiar with the VDSL2 offerings to be able to use the phone
cable, but know nothing about CMTS solutions available.DOCSIS 3.0 capable
modems seem to be much more inexpensive than VDSL2 capable modems.

We are looking for recommendations on small CMTS systems for MDU's. I would
expect we would want at least DOCSIS 3.0 capabilities, and I assume DOCSIS
3.1 is too new and expensive to deploy on a small scale (think 50 to 200
units per property). We would need the full solution to manage and maintain
such an offering.

I was thinking something like this might be a good fit:
http://www.picodigital.com/product-details.php?ID=miniCMTS200a which is
available new for $4500 online.

For those of you deploying CMTS systems what do you use and recommend?

I am not sure if there is a cable equivalent list to NANOG, but if so
please let me know.