DE-CIX vs Equinix

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 13:48:46 UTC 2015

What are the main difference between these two peering companies,
exchanges, and overall operating model? The market in question would be
Dallas Texas where Equinix already has the only established peering
exchange with over 100 members, and DE-CIX just announced today that that
would also be building one in Dallas. It will take time for DE-CIX to
establish their exchange in Dallas and get members, but they better
question is why would people switch?

For a 10G port with a cross connect to the exchange included Equinix
charges $1000 per month. According to DE-CIX it looks like they charge
$1250 per month for a 10G port in NYC, so I asusme the same would be true
in Dallas. https://nyc.de-cix.net/products-services/pricing/

Looks like DE-CIX will offer a promo to entice new members to join, and
their exchange will be in the carrier neatural meet me room operated by the
infomart that will have little to no cross connect fees.

Why would people pay more to connect to an exchange with less members? What
is the european exchange that is a non-profit and basically only covers the
cost of operating the exchange?