Why we did Internet-in-a-box (was: Remember "Internet-In-A-Box"?)

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jul 21 09:29:07 UTC 2015

In article <A1F92A0E-98F6-4AC0-AAA3-3FD7739D535E at the-watsons.org>, Brett
Watson <brett at the-watsons.org> writes
>> This goes back a number of years.  There was a product that literally
>>was a cardboard box that contained everything one needed to get started
>>on the Internet.  Just add a modem and a computer, and you were on your
>>way.  No fuss, no "learning curve”.
>
>MCI (way back, original MCI when I worked there) had MCI One that was
>similar with bundled voice/internet/etc, may be what you’re thinking
>of or not

There were numerous Internet "in a box" type products available in the
1994-95 timeframe, based largely on the existing Compuserve "in a box".

I was responsible for the first one to go on sale in the UK, through a
large chain of electronics retailers. The ISP was UK-Online.

The commercial reason for the packs was to put the product in front of
as many potential customers as possible, and make it easy to buy.
Cover-disks on magazines had quite a wide circulation but didn't fully
address the financial issues because...

...the corresponding operational reason was to overcome the
bootstrapping problem of how do you sign someone up for an account and
take a pre-payment if they aren't already online?

A cover-disk could solve the problem of pre-installing the software
needed, which in those days was generally a paid-for 3rd-party Stack and
some kind of bulk-licenced browser (eg Trumpet + Netscape); but involved
giving users a certain period of 'free trial', unless you employed the
somewhat clumsy option of having them call in with credit card details
during the set-up process.

What an "in-a-box" product achieved was the ability to get wider
distribution, because the retailer was typically receiving a 30% margin
on his sale and therefore happy to have it on his shelves, but the ISP
was also getting the 70% [less manufacturing cost, obviously] in order
to part-fund the first month's access and the licence on the software,
after which the person is online and can subscribe fully if they wish to
continue.

Even back then, there was the secondary effect that having spammers sign
up to your service using a succession of "free trial" cover disks wasn't
something to be encouraged.

How any of this is relevant to IPv6 "in-a-box" I will leave as an
exercise for the reader. Although my own inclination is to say it's much
more to do with grappling with legacy hardware and operating systems
that don't (either happily or at all) support IPv6, than getting a
reasonably recent PC/CPE configured automagically via an existing IPv4
connection.
--
Roland Perry