IPv6 CPE best practices

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 21:59:34 UTC 2015

So, I've been following this IPv6 discussion for a while now.  Putting much
more thought into it than ever before.  What I've gathered so far:

We need both SLAAC and DHPCv6 on CPE router to support all end clients.
Android and some other platforms still have some issues with a v6-addressed
DNS server (or don't use DHCPv6 at all), so you really need your
v4-addressed DNS server to hand out both AAAA and A records together.  Is
that close?

So giving each customer a /48 is the way to go.  How does one go about
configuring CPEs for devices to use this?  I'm aware of how DHCP-PD can dish
out a /48 of a larger block.  Should I move to a standard CPE that supports
DHCP-PD (here is a list:  https://getipv6.info/display/IPv6/Broadband+CPE ,
some mention PD)?  Or should I just allow them to use any IPv6 compatible
router, and issue each customer a /48, but only configure a /64 of that
block for each CPE's inside interface (manual config).  Is there anything
other than DHCP-PD that can do this auto-magically?

I support a small WISP occasionally, it's all wireless and Ethernet.
Several hundred small business customers.  Nothing super complicated.  Been
playing with an HE tunnel the last few days and found my netflow collector
works fine with FNF and IPv6, so making some progress.  Just wanting to
avoid any big mistakes when we think about getting some customers on it.

Thanks,

Chuck