'gray' market IPv4

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Thu Jul 16 17:05:51 UTC 2015

On 7/16/15, 12:47 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Bryan Fields"
<nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:

>On 7/15/15 9:59 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
>> Price varies significantly by prefix length, and somewhat by region.
>> Regional variance may not be as much as it used to be.
>
>Does legacy space command a premium in this?

>From what I understand, and I have not been a party to any transactions,
there are differences in transaction where the space looks ³cleaner.² That
is, space that has been less delegated, and has never appeared an a spam
blacklist. I don¹t know whether that translates to higher prices, or
whether buyers just won¹t buy questionable space.

>What's the going rate to lease space (say a /20 or /19 for discussion)?

Leases aren¹t worth the trouble, because sellers believe that the only
reason for a temporary lease is to originate spam, following which the
address space is worthless. So if you can find a lease at all, it is
likely to cost as much or more than buying outright. Personally, I
wouldn¹t lease space at all, because I wouldn¹t want my organization¹s
name anywhere near it when the bad stuff started happening.
The ipv4auctions.com site lists prefixes that large; recent /20s have been
$7.45-$8.00 per address.

Bear in mind that I¹m essentially a researcher, and have no direct
experience. You might want to talk to a broker or three.

Lee