Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Jul 16 00:07:56 UTC 2015

On 7/15/15 4:35 PM, Joe Maimon wrote:

<snip>

> At this point, you are running the risk of conflating your goals with
> your technical objections to the goals of others. And this has always
> been the real underlying issue.

My goal in an operational capacity is to continue to hold onto the
quality and utility of IPv4 services until my customers don't need them
anymore whether that comes 5 years from now, 10 or never. balkanzing
them on the basis of what prefixes they can reach, and consigning new or
growning entrants to address  ranges that poorly serve the installed
base doesn't serve that end.

IPv4 as a mature deployed technology is quite successful at resisting
innovation whether in the forwarding plane or at the transport. When I
consider where I should be expending resources on IPv4 inovation or
elsewhere, I look to minimize the NRE I have to expend sustaining IPv4.