Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Jul 15 23:45:55 UTC 2015

Doug Barton wrote:
> On 7/15/15 10:24 AM, Joe Maimon wrote:
>> I suspect a 16 /8 right about now would be very welcome for everybody
>> other then the ipv6 adherents.
>
> Globally we were burning through about a /8 every month or two in "the
> good old days." So in the best case scenario we'd get 32 more months of
> easy to get IPv4, but at an overwhelming cost to re-implement every
> network stack.
>
> This option was considered back in the early 2000's when I was still
> involved in the discussion, and rejected as impractical.

Removing experimental status does not equate with the burden of making
it equivalent use to the rest of the address space.

How about the ARIN burn rate post IANA runout? How long does 16 /8 last
then?

What would be wrong with removing experimental status and allowing one
of the /8 to be used for low barrier to /16 assignment to any party
demonstrating a willingness to coax usability of the space?

Yes, any such effort has to run the gauntlet of IETF/IANA/RIR policy.

CGN /10 managed. This could too, if all the naysayers would just step
out of the way.