Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Jul 15 15:25:05 UTC 2015

>Same way it happens today.  Business starts out small, uses IP space from
>their single ISP.  Couple years later, they're bigger and want to dual-home
>for better uptime or other reasons.  Unless there is something stopping them
>from advertising their ISP 'A' space out to ISP 'B' in IPv6 land, we're
>probably going to see the same things we see with IPv4 no?

Sigh.  We can hope that ISP B would push back a little and tell the customer
that it's a lot easier to get v6 space, and once they do, they will have their
own IP space forever and not be in thrall to ISP A.

It would be nice if it were possible to implement BCP 38 in IPv6, since this
is the reason it isn't in IPv4.

R's,
John