Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 10:43:49 UTC 2015

On 15 July 2015 at 01:34, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> For one thing a /32 is nowhere near enough for anything bigger than a
> modest ISP today. Many will need /28, /24, or even larger. The biggest ones
> probably need /16 or even /12 in some cases.

What is the definition of a modest and a large ISP?

In the RIPE region even the smallest ISP can get a /29 with no
documentation necessary. But likely that is all they will ever get because
policy requires that you use that /29 at about 30% efficiency if you do /48
allocations to end users.

You would need more than a million users to get a /24.

I do not think the RIPE region has an ISP large enough to apply for a /16
or anything near it.

Therefore we can conclude that if ARIN manages to use up all the /3 address
space currently reserved for allocation, we will still be able to get
address space in Europe for the next thousands years :-). It is thought
that RIPE will not use up the /12 that IANA allocated to RIPE - ever.

Personally I believe the ARIN policy is the sane one. But we need to abide
by the rules in the region we live in.

Regards,

Baldur