Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jul 15 01:00:18 UTC 2015

In message <CANjVB-jbtc4V5yba0xtGA7N5geQcz86hvydj4J9J8UxhzMMEZw at mail.gmail.com>
, George Metz writes:
> That's all well and good Owen, and the math is compelling, but 30 years ago
> if you'd told anyone that we'd go through all four billion IPv4 addresses
> in anyone's lifetime, they'd have looked at you like you were stark raving
> mad.

I did that math ~30 years ago '88, when I got my first address
blocks, and realised that IPv4 wasn't sustainable then.

> That's what's really got most of the people who want (dare I say more
> sane?) more restrictive allocations to be the default concerned; 30 years
> ago the math for how long IPv4 would last would have been compelling as
> well, which is why we have the entire Class E block just unusable and large
> blocks of IP address space that people were handed for no particular reason
> than it sounded like a good idea at the time.

We don't use Class E because were using up IPv4 space too quickly
to make it worthwhile to make it work cleanly for everyone.  Note
also the other 7/8ths the IPv6 space is reserved for unicast
addresses.  Class E was reserved for experimentation so in reality
there is no comparison.

> It's always easier to be prudent from the get-go than it is to rein in the
> insanity at a later date. Just because we can't imagine a world where IPv6
> depletion is possible doesn't mean it can't exist, and exist far sooner
> than one might expect.

How many sites per person on the planet do you see in use in a 100
years, 1000 years.  Out of this 1/8th there is around 350 per /
person with /48's.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org