Remember "Internet-In-A-Box"?

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Wed Jul 15 00:57:19 UTC 2015

Mike,

 I agree that something like that needs to be done. Maybe I’ll do it. In the meantime, have you got an IPv6 lab set up? I’m guessing that with your /32 allocation in hand, you likely do. Have you run through HE.net’s excellent personal IPv6 certification program? Until you gain fluency in IPv6, you won’t understand any advice anyway.

If you’re already reasonably skilled at IPv6 manipulations, then you should be able to start designing a practical IPv6 deployment scheme. The essential processes are (a) getting IPv6 into your provisioning system, so you keep track of your assignments, and (b) distributing /48 (or whatever) prefixes to customers across your core network. (b) depends entirely on your IGP (OSPF, iBGP, MPLS, etc) and the CPE at your customers.

 -mel