NTP versions in production use?

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Sun Jul 12 04:37:53 UTC 2015

On 07/11/2015 08:17 PM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Thanks, and I'm kinda stunned that folks are running such ancient
> versions of NTP.
>
> https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/ReleaseTimeline
>
> 4.2.0 was EOL'd in June of 2006, and we've fixed about 3,000 issues in
> the codebase since then.

I used to do a lot of work with embedded software years ago in my
career.  What I remember is that when a piece of code was ported to the
embedded product, the only time the port was repeated was when there was
a revenue-impacting issue.  So if there was something in those 3,000
issues that would adversely affect the containing product to the point
where it would be reflected in sales, I wouldn't hold your breath.

When the porting process is trivial, then it can be a different story.
But remember that there is a Q/A impact on incorporating the new code
from upstream, so it's the same deal.

If you would like the vendors to update, you need to make a strong case
for doing so.