ISP DHCPv6 and /48

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Jul 11 23:05:53 UTC 2015

In message <CAPkb-7Aice0dSgcc+W7c7R3OSWP_N_sn8m0n306mJx1bGC36Qw at mail.gmail.com>
, Baldur Norddahl writes:
> On 10 July 2015 at 13:30, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
>
> > Baldur -
> >
> >     I am not aware of the RIPE practices with respect to IPv6 end-user
> > assignments,
> >     but in the ARIN region, ISPs/LIR's make assignments to end users base=
> > on similar
> >     practices that the community adopted for ARIN=E2=80=99s end-user assi=
> gnments.
> >   To my
> >     knowledge, ARIN does not review these ISP IPv6 end-user assignments
> > (except
> >     after the fact and in aggregate if an ISP were to come to ARIN seekin=
> > an additional
> >     IPv6 block due to utilization of the previous.)
> >
> >     Differences in policies between the regions is not necessarily any
> > indication of a
> >     =E2=80=9Cproblem=E2=80=9D; it can just as easily be an appropriate re=
> flection of
> > different underlying
> >     circumstances.
> >

> The RIPE policy https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-641 section
> 5.4.2 states:
>
> "When a single End Site requires an assignment shorter than a /48, it must
> request the assignment with documentation or materials that justify the
> request. Requests for multiple or additional prefixes exceeding a /48
> assignment for a single End Site will be processed and reviewed (i.e.,
> evaluation of justification) at the RIR/NIR level".
>
> For a business user we might go through that process. But my question is
> about ordinary residential end users where we want to have as little manual
> processing as possible. Therefore we read the above as "do not do that".
>
> We do not entirely disagree with the policy either. I am more looking for a
> technical solution, that allows us to deliver a /48 yet still be as
> flexible as possible to the users wants and needs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Baldur

Well you don't know if it is a single end site or two sharing a common
uplink.

You could just configure them both for /49's from the /48 and let them
worry about ip6.arpa sub delegation.  They should be getting a /128
regardless.

That said this really isn't your problem.  It is their problem.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org