Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jul 11 04:49:06 UTC 2015

> On Jul 10, 2015, at 12:50 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
> On Jul 10, 2015, at 1:35 PM, Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org<mailto:mel at beckman.org>> wrote:
>
> This is a side issue, but I'm surprised ARIN is still advertising incorrect information in the table.
> Are you saying that there is no way to get an IPv6 allocation in the xx-small category?
> ARIN: Yes. The /36 prefix is the smallest size ARIN is permitted to allocate to ISPs according to community-created policy. https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six52
> But ARIN still is advertising the /40 option months later! As a result we as a community lost the opportunity to get a new ISP off on the right foot by going dual-stacked. This is not good for IPv6 adoption. Hopefully ARIN reads this and addresses the issue - either correct the table or honor xx-small requests for a /40.
>
> Mel -
>
>  The confusion is very understandable, but both the fee table and the policy are
>  accurate.   The fee table includes an XX-Small category which corresponds to
>  those ISPs which have smaller than /20 IPv4 and smaller than a /36 IPv6 total
>  holdings – the fact that such a category exists does not mean that any particular
>  ISP is being billed in that category (or that a new ISP will necessarily end up in
>  that category); it simply means that ISPs with those total resources are billed
>  accordingly.

John,

This is a bit disingenuous. I believe that there should, at least, be an indication
on the table that the fee category is not available per policy when that is the
case.

It is not now nor has it ever been possible for an ISP to get a /40 or less of IPv6.

If policy ever changes to make such a silly thing available, then the note could
be removed from the table.

>  The constraint that you experienced, i.e. that there is a minimum IPv6 ISP allocation
>  size of /36 is actually not something that the staff can fix; i.e. it’s the result of the
>  community-led policy development process, and if you feel it does need to change
>  to a lower number, you should propose an appropriate change to policy on the
>  ARIN public policy mailing list <arin-ppml at arin.net<mailto:arin-ppml at arin.net>>.

What if, instead, we feel that the entire IPv6 fee structure should shift up one row.
/36 should be considered XX-Small, /40 should be considered Small, etc.

Whether to leave the numbers in place or move them with the prefix lengths is
left as an exercise for the staff. I really don’t care which you do.

>  We _are_ in the midst of considering changes to the fee table to lower and realign
>  the IPv6 fees in general (which might be a better solution if the cost is issue) - see
>   <https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_35/PDF/wednesday/curran_fees.pdf>
>  for the update provided in April at the ARIN 35 Members meeting, with specific
>  options for community discussion at the ARIN Fall meeting taking place in
>  Montreal this October (adjacent to the NANOG Fall meeting)

Indeed… I wish this was moving at a somewhat less glacial pace.

Owen