Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Jul 10 01:15:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 19:06 -0500, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Solutions looking for problems. I get a few subnets (though don't
> foresee it being likely). Someone here was mentioning dozens or
> hundreds of subnets for a residential customer. Um, no.

Actually I was mentioning thousands.

What you personally don't foresee is pretty much irrelevant to what will
actually happen - unless you are in a position to make things
impossible. If we build a world where only 256 in-home subnets are
possible, then future homes will have no more than 256 in-home subnets,
no-one will be building systems that need more than 256 subnets, and no
doubt you will be saying "see, I told you so".

Like pretty much the entire current generation of net techs, your
imagination is limited by your past. But there are kids in school right
now who do not suffer from the same limitations - and they will build
wonders.

If we let them.

Regards, K.

PS: People keep dissing "home users" saying how they are incapable of
understanding stuff and installing all these complex networks. Twenty
years ago getting online at home took lots of know-how; getting more
than one device online in the home took even more. Now you can just buy
a $50 bit of kit, plug it in and your desktops, laptops, smartphones,
tablets, televisions, digital radios and wireless sound systems just
work. With main and guest networks, multiple wifi protocols, and in many
cases basic IPv6 as well. There is no reason to think that the
complexity of future networks will not be equally well packaged for the
home.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882