Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 9 23:08:56 UTC 2015

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 15:55 , Ricky Beam <jfbeam at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 18:23:29 -0400, Naslund, Steve <SNaslund at medline.com> wrote:
>> That would be Tivo's fault wouldn't it.
>
> Partially, even mostly... it's based on Bonjour. That's why the shit doesn't work "over the internet".
>
> (It's just http/https, so it will, in fact, work, but their apps aren't designed to work that way. Many 3rd party control apps have no problems.)

Correct… It _IS_ TiVO’s fault. However, the reality I’m trying to point out is that application developers make assumptions based
on the commonly deployed environment that they expect in the world.

If we create a limited environment, then that is what they will code to.

If we deliver /48s, then they will come up with innovative ways to make use of those deployments. If we deliver /56s, then innovation will be constrained to what can be delivered to /56s, even for sites that have /48s.

Owen