Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Thu Jul 9 19:55:09 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 08:02:40AM -0500, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Sounds like someone's getting caught up in the hype of a few buzzwords. I can't imagine where more than a couple bits of separately isolated networks in a home would be required. Most of those things you mentioned have no need to be isolated and are just being used to support a decision that was already made than evidence that lead to a decision.
>
> I'm not advocating anyone do anything other than what best practices dictate, just that whomever came up with best practices got a little caught up in the moment.

	You quickly run into religion here.

	I run my home as a big broadcast domain, but there's no reason
I wouldn't perhaps segment things differently.  There are a lot of people
who just "extend their wifi" by plugging in a 2nd router with a long cable
and don't realize they now have a new layer of nat, they just know
the wifi by the $newRouter got better.

	Should I have a lan party VLAN/SSID?  Perhaps, but for ease of use
I let my AppleTV be on the same network as my iPhone so I can control them
with the Remote app.  Otherwise you quickly get into kinky broadcast relay
or similar issues with multicast groups :)

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net