Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Thu Jul 9 16:53:36 UTC 2015

Sure, they may be 100,000+  networks like that in non-technical households. Maybe. I doubt it, but still that would be like 0.01%. Many consumer systems have trouble with L3 hops (mDNS/Bonjour, etc...). First thing tech support will suggest it to put them on the same network. People have been taught this. My experience is that most people that even have a second network, it's their AP that sets up a Guest network, and even then, it doesn't route between the networks (that's sort of the whole idea).

If an ISP wants to give out a /48, great for them. If they want to give out only a /56, I say that's fine. What's more important to me is that they implement IPv6. Arguing about prefix size and SLAAC vs DHCP rather than just go ahead and implement things, to me is just silly. When IP was first deployed, we didn't have DHCP (bootp was still in it's infancy), no mDNS, etc...Lots of things grew up after the fact. I agree that we can't foresee what will happen in the future, but that to me just proves my point. Worrying about the ability to create complex topologies in home networks that may or may not ever be needed or wanted just seems absurd to me.

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039