Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 9 16:51:56 UTC 2015

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 09:16 , Matthew Huff <mhuff at ox.com> wrote:
>
> When I see a car that needs a /56 subnet then I’ll take your use case seriously. Otherwise, it’s just plain laughable. Yes, I could theorize a use case for this, but then I could theorize that someday everyone will get to work using jetpacks.

When I see a reason not to give out /48s, I might start taking your argument seriously.

> We have prefix delegation already via DHCP-PD, but some in the IPv6 world don’t even want to support DHCP, how does SLAAC do prefix delegation, or am I missing something else? I assume each car is going to be running as  RA? Given quality of implementations of IPv6 in embedded devices so far, I found that pretty ludicrous.

Clearly the quality of IPv6 in embedded devices needs to improve. There’s clearly work being done on LWIP IPv6, but I don’t think it’s ready for prime time yet. (LWIP is one of the most popular embedded IP stacks. You’ll find it in a wide range of devices, including, but not limited to the ESP8266).

> Seriously, the IPv6 world needs to get a clue. Creating new protocols and solutions at this point in the game is only making it more difficult for IPv6 deployment, not less. IPv6 needs to stabilize and get going.. instead it seems everyone is musing about theoretical world where users need 64k networks. I understand the idea of not wanting to not think things through, but IPv6 is how many years old, and we are still arguing about these things? Don’t let the prefect be the enemy of the good.

/48s for end sites are NOT new… They have been part of the IPv6 design criteria from about the same time 128-bit addresses were decided. It is these silly IPv4-think notions of /56 and /60 that are new changes to the protocol.

The good news is that it’s very easy to deploy /48s and if it turns out we were wrong, virtually everyone currently advocating /48s will happily help you get more restrictive allocation policies when 2000::/3 runs out. (assuming any of us are still alive when that happens).

Owen