Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 9 16:27:59 UTC 2015

My parents are non-technical.

Other than a little help connecting her airport to the cable modem, I had nothing to do with the design and implementation of their networks.

They have at least 7 distinct subnets in their house that I know of.

Some of them are routed together. Some of them are isolated. I suspect my parents don’t even realize what a subnet is or how a router connects them.

It is unlikely, IMHO, that said topology will likely get flattened in the future. I expect, rather, that it will grow both vertical and horizontal.

I think that’s about as common person as it gets.

So I’m not talking about the 15-30 subnets in my house, depending on the day, nor the subnets outside of my house used to support the networking
in my house (point to point circuits and the like).

I’m well aware that the common person does not have an ASN for their home and the average home thinks BGP is probably an airport code.

Owen