Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Jul 9 14:16:24 UTC 2015

Yes, the reason is that we'd never had ARIN turn down a request due to space exhaustion before. In 12 months we'll see the prices will go up significantly. Don't underestimate the demand, which is easily measured via ARIN space allocation reports. That demand rate has very little flexibility, and the businesses asking for /21 and above are willing to pay for the space. It's not the "two guys and a router" startups asking for a mere /23 or /24. These are generally pre-existing businesses or well-funded startups.

 -mel beckman