Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Jul 9 01:51:32 UTC 2015

Matthew,

This is where we have to excise our IPv4 "fear of waste" reflex.  A /64 subnet, for example, doesn't waste anything material -- these are just integers, after all. If the number of integers was scarce, as they are with IPv4, then yes, we must conserve. But IPv6 is well thought out and it's design carefully considered practical IP allocation requirements before deciding on 128 bit addresses. It's enough. Really.

 -mel beckman