Debian RWHOIS

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 00:05:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 18:12:47 -0400, Jeff Walter <jwalter at weebly.com> wrote:
> he basically told me RWHOIS was dead

It is most certainly NOT dead. It is, and always has been, a very small
userbase. SWIP has always been a pain in the ass. Modern web-ized methods
are more acceptable, but still an ugly mess. But, that said, so are all
the (r)whois implementations.

In eons long past, I ran an rwhois server. It was almost infinitely easier
to convert our address management database (text file) into rwhois zone
data. And since the only reason to do any of this crap was for address
requests -- once or twice a year, the reduction in man hours dealing with
SWIP was greatly rewarded.