United Airlines is Down (!) due to network connectivity problems

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jul 8 17:55:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:42:52 -0000, Matthew Huff said:
> Given that the technical resources at the NYSE are significant and the
> lengthy duration of the outage, I believe this is more serious than is being
> reported.

My personal, totally zero-info suspicion:

Some chuckleheaded NOC banana-eater made a typo, and discovered an entirely new
class of wondrous BGP-wedgie style "We know how we got here, but how do we get
back?" network misbehaviors....

(Such things have happened before - like the med school a few years ago that
extended their ethernet spanning tree one hop too far, and discovered that
merely removing the one hop too far wasn't sufficient to let it come back up...)