NANOG Digest, Vol 90, Issue 1

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Jul 8 15:26:22 UTC 2015

On 8 Jul 2015, at 21:26, Ramy Hashish wrote:

> I am very happy because somebody is on the same page.

This is not what you were asking about in your original post on this
topic - you were talking about BGP sessions inside GRE tunnels, which is
not how most (any?) DDoS mitigation services operate, to my knowledge.

GRE is used over the Internet for many different applications, including
post-DDoS-mitigation re-injection of legitimate traffic onwards to the
server/services under protection.  Hardware-based GRE processing is
required on both ends for anything other than trivial speeds; in
general, the day of software-based Internet routers is long gone, and
any organization still running software-based routers on their
transit/peering edge is at risk.

DDoS mitigation providers using GRE for re-injection should set the MTU
on their mitigation center diversion interfaces to 1476, and
MSS-clamping on those same interfaces to 1436, as a matter of course.

This is not a new model; it has been extant for many years.  There are a
variety of overlay and transit-focused DDoS mitigation service providers
who utilize this model.  In your original post on this topic, you also
made the assertion that these issues had not been addressed by DDoS
mitigation service operators; that assertion is incorrect.