Inexpensive software bgp router that supports route tags?

David H ispcolohost at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 19:47:29 UTC 2015

Sorry I wasn't clear on that.  Traditionally on a hardware, e.g.
cisco/brocade, router performing the RTBH role, I'd add blackhole routes by
way of static routes with a particular tag; one tag for block this source,
one tag for block this destination.  Redistribute static would let route
maps operate against those tags to turn into bgp communities being applied
to the announcements, and then the real routers can do what they need to
do.  When I tried out Quagga/Zebra as an alternative, it doesn't work this
way, so while it was nice that it could pick up static routes from the OS,
or have them added manually just like a hardware router, there was no
concept of the route tag getting to Zebra for it to do the rest of the work
on the BGP side.

I'll check out Bird too; thanks.