Route leak in Bangladesh

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Jul 1 14:52:41 UTC 2015

On 01/07/2015 15:12, Jared Mauch wrote:
> 	I would like to see others participate in the dialog with vendors
> so we don't seem to be quite an outlier with "wow, you have really
> large configs".  The vendors haven't quite kept pace with the increase
> in density proportional to the number of configuration lines and
> it sure feels like we are the only people pushing them to improve.

This is a strange sort of thing really.  There's no reason that a compiled
prefix list of 250k entries should take up much RAM in a trie structure;
there's no reason that a competently written parser shouldn't be able to
handle 20 megs of prefix lists / sets in a trivial amount of time and
there's no reason that writing a 20 meg configuration file should take long
to write to disk / flash / etc.

BIRD handles this in ultraquick time.  Even recent versions of Quagga can
now suck + parse 10 megs of prefix filters in a second or two and write
them out in less.

But Junos / IOS / XR puke horribly.  What gives?

Nick