leap second outage

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Jul 1 04:47:15 UTC 2015

Joe writes:
> A leap sec causing issues. For about 40 years now, there have been
> these leap seconds to no real issue. All of these are "go-forwards"

No, they're all "go-backwards" events.  That's no big deal to things
that don't care about monotonic time, or to folks who aren't in
violation of something if their timestamps are off by a second.

What I'm about to say may not be as stupid as it sounds:  The problems
here aren't problems for cases where it's not a problem.  It is a
problem where it *is* a problem.

It's a case where one person's signal is another person's noise.