IPv6 allocation plan, security, and 6-to-4 conversion

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Jan 30 16:29:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Eric Louie wrote:

> It also sounds like the Internet (aka the upstream/Tier 1 carriers) don't
> want me to advertise anything longer than my /32 into BGPv6.  Is that true?
> (I'm getting that from the spamming comments made by others)  Am I
> supposed to be asking ARIN for a /32 for each region that I want to
> address?  (They turned down my request for an increase to a /28 last year)

Not true.  A peek at the global IPv6 routing table shows lots of prefixes
that are smaller than /32.  One of the hopes with larger allocations and
assignments was that there would be less bloat in the global IPv6 routing
table because networks would need to announce fewer prefixes.  How well
that will hold up in practice remains to be seen :)

> As far as the v6 to v4 translation is concerned, I'm looking at that for
> the future - for the time being, we will be dual-stacked.  However, if we
> move into a new area, based on our current IPv4 inventory, I don't really
> have enough to assign to each new customer, so I was looking for ways to
> allow those customers access to properties that are still IPv4 only.  Is
> there yet another way to do that?

If you assign a customer IPv6 space only, a translation mechanism is
needed to allow that customer to reach Internet destinations that only
speak IPv4 today.  There's no way around that.

jms