IPv6 allocation plan, security, and 6-to-4 conversion

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Fri Jan 30 20:23:35 UTC 2015

* Baldur Norddahl

> Single stacking on IPv6 is nice in theory. In practice it just doesn't work
> yet. If you as an ISP tried to force all your customers to be IPv6 single
> stack, you would go bust.

Kabel Deutschland, T-Mobile USA, and Facebook are examples of companies
who have already or are in the process of moving their network
infrastructure to IPv6-only. Without going bust.

What you *do* need, is some form of connectivity to the IPv4 internet.
But there are smarter ways to do that than dual stack. Seriously, if
you're building a network today, consider making IPv4 a legacy "app" or
service running on top of an otherwise IPv6-only infrastructure. Five
years down the road you'll thank me for the tip. :-)

Tore