scaling linux-based router hardware recommendations

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Jan 28 23:18:30 UTC 2015

[snip]

To inject science into the discussion:

http://bsdrp.net/documentation/examples/forwarding_performance_lab_of_an_ibm_system_x3550_m3_with_10-gigabit_intel_x540-at2

And he maintains a test setup to check for performance regressions:

http://bsdrp.net/documentation/examples/freebsd_performance_regression_lab

Now, this is using the in-kernel stack, not netmap/pfring/etc that
uses all the batching-y, stack-shallow-y implementations that the
kernel currently doesn't have. But, there are people out there doing
science on it and trying very hard to kick things along. The nice
thing about what has come out of the DPDK related stuff is, well, the
bar is set very high now. Now it's up to the open source groups to
stop messing around and do something about it.

If you're interested in more of this stuff, go poke Jim at pfsense/netgate.

-adrian
(This and RSS work is plainly in my "stuff I do for fun" category, btw.)