Alerting systems, Logicmonitor and/or alternatives

Raymond Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Wed Jan 28 23:15:30 UTC 2015

> What's the collective opinion here? Is anyone using them or a similar service?
> Are there non-cloud-based alternatives that are relatively easy to set up and
> manage? We've explored Zabbix, Nagios, MRTG and its various wrappers,
> and Intermapper. Anything else new on the horizon that has a GUI front-end
> that is configurable without a lot of scripting experience, etc.?

Try OMD.  It packages a python wrapper called check_mk around Nagios and adds on charts via an already integrated pnp4nagios.

The guys doing check_mk have done an amazing job of harnessing the power of Nagios through the use of configuration files which nicely minimizes the amount of work necessary for getting things monitored, while maximizing how things are grouped and structured.

Since I like it so much, I'm in the process of migrating our monitoring from a combination of NagiosXI, Observium, and Cacti over to the OMD package.

It has fast agents for monitoring vsphere.  Has native agents for Linux and Windows.  And can do SNMP.  And has good customization for those who want more done that what is supplied out of the box.

> We would love to buy something that works for us and pay a reasonable
> price for it, but I'm not particularly interested in the equivalent of renting a
> time-share in order to monitor our networks.

Check_mk has support and professional services available.  It is open source for those who wish to go the DIY route.

Raymond

blog.raymond.burkholder.net

believed to be clean.