scaling linux-based router hardware recommendations

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Jan 27 03:23:47 UTC 2015

On 1/26/15 5:43 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Aren't most of the new whitebox\open source platforms based on
> switching and not routing? I'd assume that the "cloud-scale" data
> centers deploying this stuff still have more traditional big iron at
> their cores.

A L3 ethernet switch and a "router" are effectively indistinguishable.
the actual feature set you need drives what platforms are appropiate.

A signficant push for DCs particularly those with CLOS archectures is
away from modular chassis based switches towards dense but fixed
configuration switches. This drives the complexity and a signficant
chunk of the cost out of these switches.

> The small\medium sized ISP usually is left behind. They're not big
> enough to afford the big new hardware, but all of their user's
> NetFlix and porn and whatever else they do is chewing up bandwidth.

Everyone in the industry is under margin pressure. Done well every
subsequent generation of your infrastrucuture is less costly per bit
delivered while also being faster.

> For example, the small\medium ISPs are at the Nx10GigE stage now. The
> new hardware is expensive, the old hardware (besides being old) is
> likely in a huge chassis if you can get any sort of port density at
> all.

If you're a small consumer based ISP how many routers do you actually
need the have a full table (the customer access network doesn't need it).

> 48 port GigE switches with a couple 10GigE can be had for $100.

I'm not aware of that being the case. With respect to merchant silicon
there a limited number of comon l3 switch asic building blocks which all
switch/router vendors can avail themselves of.

broadcom trident+ trident 2 and arad, intel fm6000, marvell prestera etc.

> minimum of 24 port 10GigE switches (except for the occasional IBM
> switch ) is 30x to 40x times that. Routers (BGP, MPLS, etc.) with
> that more than just a couple 10GigEs are even more money, I'd assume.

a 64 port 10 or mixed 10/40Gb/s switch can forward more half a Tb/s
worth of 64byte packets, do so with cut-through forwarding and in a
thermal enevelope of 150 watts. device like that retail for ~20k, in
reality you need more than one. the equivalent gigabit product is 15 or
20% of the price.

you mention mpls support so that dictates appropriate support which is
available in some platforms and asics.

> I thought vMX was going to save the day, but it's pricing for 10 gigs
> of traffic (licensed by throughput and standard\advanced licenses) is
> really about 5x - 10x what I'd be willing to pay for it.

The servers capable of relatively high-end forwarding feats aren't free
either nor are the equivalent.

> Haven't gotten a quote from AlcaLu yet.
>
> Vyatta (last I checked, which was admittedly some time ago) doesn't
> have MPLS.
>
> The FreeBSD world can bring zero software cost and a stable platform,
> but no MPLS.

mpls implementions have abundant ipr, which among other things prevents
practical merging with the linux kernel.