scaling linux-based router hardware recommendations

Sudeep Khuraijam skhuraijam at liveops.com
Tue Jan 27 01:05:29 UTC 2015

It really depends on the application that you are interested in beyond
forwarding,   but not knowing that and to scale forwarding ³at a
reasonable price", things have to come off cpu and become more customized
for forwarding, especially for low latency forwarding.  The optimization
comes in minimizing packet tuple copies, off load to co-processors and
network coprocessors (some of which can be in NICs) and parallel
processing with some semblance of shared memory across,  all of which
takes customization beyond CPU and Kernel which in itself needs to be
stripped down bare and embedded.  Ultimately that¹s what appliance vendors
do with different levels of hardware/firmware customization depending on
ROI of features, speeds and price. A generic OpenSource compatible OEM
product with multi-gig ports will generally be at least half to 5th the
price of a high end latest server architecture server product with ability
to support 10 gig interfaces in the same forwarding performance range
(which are in the market for a different scale problem in compute and net
I/O but exist at a price point that make them exorbitant to solve
forwarding speed).

Cheers,

Sudeep Khuraijam