[request]: host a probe for v6 measurements

Bajpai, Vaibhav v.bajpai at jacobs-university.de
Fri Jan 23 15:24:33 UTC 2015

> On 22 Jan 2015, at 15:27, George, Wes <wesley.george at twcable.com> wrote:
>
> We've seen 3 or 4 recent presentations of some new measurement project
> that requires deploying yet another set of dedicated probes. While I'm
> generally supportive of measurement attempts, I'll ask the same question
> that was asked then:

The probes we are shipping are ‘SamKnows' probes. We are not forking a
new measurement platform. These probes will be part of SamKnows. I called
them LEONE SamKnows probes because in addition to standard SamKnows tests
they are also going to run our v6 tests.

> Why not use RIPE Atlas?
> https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/udm

As Randy pointed out, the current built-in set of RIPE Atlas measurement
tools do not allow us to make measurements we want to make. We want to
measure connect times and achievable throughput over an established TCP
connection to live dual-stacked websites and YouTube CDNs. This requires
additional tests to be baked in the platform.

In efforts to get this accepted, I presented one of ours tests at the
RIPE66 meeting in 2013 and received positive feedback [1]. We are working
with them to get things accepted.

 [2]	Measuring the Effectiveness of Happy Eyeballs
	IPv6 Working Group, RIPE66
	Dublin, May 2013.
	https://ripe66.ripe.net/archives/video/1208

> Wes George

Best, Vaibhav

Vaibhav Bajpai

Research I, Room 91
Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (CNDS) Lab
School of Engineering and Sciences
Jacobs University Bremen, Germany

www.vaibhavbajpai.com