NETGEAR Contacts?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Jan 22 20:50:05 UTC 2015

I’m wondering if someone has any contacts at Netgear they would be willing to forward some information to.  While working with their devices one of my colleagues discovered some poor behavior of their embedded DNSMASQ, such as returning REFUSED to DNS queries.

eg:

$ dig +tcp puck.nether.net.

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> +tcp puck.nether.net.
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 33649
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;puck.nether.net.		IN	A

;; Query time: 136 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 22 13:28:59 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 33

where a UDP query passes just fine.

This is one of a few issues we’ve uncovered, so hoping for someone who can work on building some fixed firmware.

Device in question:

Netgear wnr2000v3
v1.1.2.10 (latest on website)

Is there a mailing list that exists for the purposes of discussing these types of CPE device issues?

- Jared