gamer "lag" dashboard

Charles N Wyble charles at thefnf.org
Tue Jan 20 02:54:27 UTC 2015

Ixia is very very expensive and has its own sets of "fun", though it is a nice appliance for playing with packets. Though its more for protocol compliance testing and load generation.

You'll find that protocol exploration and... hmmmm... exploitation is an incredibly mature field in floss.

https://code.google.com/p/ostinato/ would probably do what you need ( since you'll basically be spending lots of time with pcap capture and replay ). Once you get tired of spending expensive labor time on this project, you can throw some grad students, xboxes and scapy in a room and have them automate the process for you. :-)

Also checkout http://www.pcapr.net/home ( specifically pcapr on premise)  to manage and analyze captured pcaps. Of course security onion must be considered if you want a more robust capture and management toolkit. Aol wrote something called moloch, that's on my list of tools to play with this year.

Wireshark wiki has many other things linked for pcap related play.

My $dayjob involves supporting people who do horrible horrible things to packets and tcp stacks for fun and profit. So I've become very proficient with an extensive floss toolkit around this stuff. With a bit of critical thinking and research, you'll be able to devise a strategy that works.

Also +1 for Zenoss. That is a fantastic NMS. Written in python, so hooking up scapy to do periodic game latency checks would be slick and a natural fit.