Recommended L2 switches for a new IXP

Michael Smith mksmith at mac.com
Wed Jan 14 01:45:55 UTC 2015

You can see what we have at the SIX here - http://www.seattleix.net/topology.html

Mike
--
Michael K. Smith
mksmith at mac.com

On Jan 11, 2015, at 10:37 PM, Manuel Marín <mmg at transtelco.net> wrote:

Dear Nanog community

We are trying to build a new IXP in some US Metro areas where we have
multiple POPs and I was wondering what do you recommend for L2 switches. I
know that some IXPs use Nexus, Brocade, Force10 but I don't personally have
experience with these switches. It would be great if you can share your
experience and recommendations. There are so many options that I don't know
if it makes sense to start with a modular switch (usually expensive because
the backplane, dual dc, dual CPU, etc) or start with a 1RU high density
switch that support new protocols like Trill and that supposedly allow you
to create Ethernet Fabric/Clusters. The requirements are simple, 1G/10G
ports for exchange participants, 40G/100G for uplinks between switches and
flow support for statistics and traffic analysis.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards